Monday, January 19, 2015

Acceptance

Learning how to accept people, situations, and life is hard. I'm not going to lie; this is probably one of the hardest life lessons for me.

It's hard to look at someone who doesn't get something right away, when you clearly understand the lesson just fine, and not think to yourself, 'C'mon, this isn't that hard. Just pay attention. Work harder. This shouldn't take you this long."

I used to be extremely critical of those who couldn't take directions, or finish tasks. Yes, that does sound rude. And it is, but it took me awhile to realize how rude it was. It was hard for me to understand that no every-ones brains are wired the same way as mine. I understood that people were different, but it was almost as if this thought vanished once I witnessed something out of the ordinary.

Public is where most of these thoughts generate from. How could someone die their whole head bright pink? How could they cover almost every square inch of their bodies with piercings? How could you bare that many children? How is that girl wearing that, doesn't she know it makes her look slutty?

We've all had these thoughts. It's as if your mind is controlled by gate, only allowing specific things that you believe should be let in, in.

I've learned that this is no way to live your life. It isn't healthy, if anything it rots your brain. You have to accept all types of people, and their ideals that come with them.

Being accepting of others and their ideas doesn't mean that you like or agree with what they have to say or do. It means you can look past their "ridiculous" traditions, such as only wearing pink on Wednesdays or eating meat once a week. Accepting is coming to a realization that no every one in the world is programmed like yourself. That's why there is diversity in the world.

It's easier to look past the small things. For example, I can't stand when people don't match their clothing. But why should I spend my time stressing on such a minuscule problem? Maybe they don't even view it as a problem. They are wearing what they are because they wanted to. THEY wanted too. It's not what I wanted. I wear things that match, I always have, and I always will. What's most important here is that I'm happy in the clothing I dress myself in. And as long as others are happy in what they are wearing, it is not my job as an outsider to make them feel any less of themselves, or judge them because of how they choose to express themselves.

Aside from plaid on plaid, or denim on denim, there are bigger things to accept in life. One of them being crisis.

No one ever wants to accept that horrible events "just happen," but to me, that's the only way I can properly handle them. In my most recent post I wrote about how my camera was stolen from me in the middle of the night. Now that I look back at it, I accept that there are cruel and horrendous people in this world. I can't do anything about that ( I mean unless I join law enforcement, which is something I'd never do).

To whomever is reading this, there is one message I want to make clear: Worry about yourself, and understand that people are different from you. As long as your actions represent the best version of yourself, try not to worry about what others do around you. Accept that you're you, and they're them. Accept that some situations are going to happen, and how you react to them builds a better you. Good luck on your journey of acceptance, for I myself am not finished with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment